Bariatrics: Your Journey to Better Health
Being overweight can cause a toll on just about anyone. If you are carrying extra weight, you understand that it can really make maintaining your physical and mental health a challenge. Do you feel like it’s time to make a change? Inspire Bariatrics wants to be your guide and partner on the way to meeting your goals.Schedule With Inspire Bariatrics Today!
What is Bariatrics?
Bariatrics is a branch of medicine that focuses on the study and treatment of obesity. Preventing and treating obesity is important because obesity can lead to other life-threatening issues like heart disease, stroke, NAFLD, NASH, sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes. Oftentimes, a bariatric doctor will first try to treat their patient with diet, exercise, and behavioral therapy. However, if the case of obesity is severe or the other treatments aren’t successful then they will most likely recommend bariatric surgery.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a general term used to describe any weight loss surgery. Weight loss surgery can be a major procedure, so it is normally not the first option for shedding excess pounds. Your bariatric doctor may try diet and exercise first, but if that is not enough or if the case of obesity is severe, then bariatric surgery will be the first option to be recommended. There are two ways that weight loss surgeries typically function. The first way is a surgery that limits how much you can eat and the second is used to limit the amount of nutrients that can be absorbed by the body. All bariatric surgeries that we offer fall within one of these two categories.
Types of Bariatric Surgeries
- Gastric Sleeve - The gastric sleeve falls in the category of bariatric surgery that limits the amount you can eat. During your procedure, up to 80% of your stomach is removed, drastically decreasing the amount of food you can consume.
- Gastric Bypass - The gastric bypass falls into both categories. The gastric bypass works by reducing the size of your stomach and altering your small intestine. Thus reducing the amount of food you can consume and the amount your body can absorb.
- Lap-Band Surgery - Lap-Band surgery reduces the amount of food that you can eat by placing an adjustable gastric band around the stomach. This method is reversible and is done on an outpatient basis.
All of our surgeries are done as minimally invasive procedures using the Da Vinci Xi Robotic Surgery System when possible. Weight loss surgery is effective on its own but keep in mind that life changes will need to be made to ensure that your weight loss surgery is 100% effective.
Qualifications for Weight Loss Surgery
For weight loss surgery to be recommended you must be a good candidate. This may include requirements like:
- A high BMI (Body Mass Index) of 35 or 40. Refer to our BMI Calculator to know if this applies to you.
- Health issues like type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, etc.
After qualification, you will then need to go through an evaluation. Steps in the evaluation process may include:
- Physical evaluation
- Blood tests
- Medical imaging
- Medical history review
Learn more about qualifying for bariatric surgery here
How much does Bariatric Surgery cost?
The cost of your surgery will depend on the type of surgery you get as well as your insurance plan and provider. Gastric bypass surgery is the most expensive form of weight loss surgery while the gastric sleeve and lap-band are on the lower end.
Will my insurance cover Bariatrics?
Insurances we work with at Inspire Bariatrics usually cover gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeries. Lap-Band surgery is covered by most insurances as well, however, it is not covered by all of them. It is important to talk to your doctor and insurance provider to make sure that your surgery will be covered.
Schedule Today With Inspire Bariatrics
If losing weight on your own has been frustrating, it may be time to visit Inspire Bariatrics. We know your struggle and can help you determine what the best course of action will be for you. Schedule an appointment with Dr. McCalman today to start exploring your weight loss options.Schedule an Appointment